It is universally hated, so unifying.
We have succeeded where many others fail.
One of our projects at Nick Meech Design was an improvement scheme in Newport, a district of Barnstaple in North Devon. The Life and Cycle project wanted to encourage more people to walk to school enjoying the green areas on the way. It was funded by Sustrans and Devon County Council and finished a couple of years ago.
- Ask people what they want, but only if your prepared to listen.
- Only promise what you are willing and able to deliver.
- Get as many people as possible pulling in the same direction or all that energy will be wasted.
So what shall we do with this valuable experience?
- Tell anyone who has the same problem how we did it. Ah, did I mention its really difficult?
- Help to ask communities if they want you to get rid of the dog shit from their space.
- Contract individual elements that people may not be able to deliver.
- Provide help if there are others that need persuading. Especially if there are officials who could stop it being successful.
- Carry out the whole process with a community, while teaching a manager or team how to replicate it elsewhere.